HOW TO: Get into Real Estate!

After an overwhelming response to an instagram question that I asked on my stories asking you guys what you wanted to see from me on my blog, it was clear that a lot of people were interested in the process of getting into real estate!
This was interesting to me, because I thought it was pretty straight forward and clear how someone would go about obtaining their real estate license, but it turns out that more people were just like me when starting the process...pretty clueless, haha. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into when I signed up for that first real estate class last March, and I will be honest with you, I learn something new about real estate every single day. The truth is, you never stop learning in this career, it's constantly changing with the times, the market is constantly changing, and the laws are constantly changing. 

The first key step to getting your license is finding the right real estate school for you. Choosing one that is associated with a local real estate company also makes a huge difference, but when those companies do their hiring, they're going to pick straight from the current class. 

Once you pass the class test and are getting ready to take the state and national portion, that is the key time to interview with different companies. Wilmington is FILLED with real estate companies, so there's a lot of brokerages to choose from, your town might only have one or two though which makes the choice easier. Choose your company based on the amount of training they have for new agents. I cannot stress this enough. Real estate school does not teach you how to be a realtor, it teaches you how to stay out of real estate jail. You get thrown into your first transaction and without good training you will be clueless. What is an exclusive buyers agency agreement? Who holds the earnest money? What is commingling? All of these things you must be well trained on before helping your first client.

I will preface this all by saying that the real estate process varies by state, so this is truly North Carolina specific, but it should all be generally the same. Refer to your states National Association of Realtors for specifics!!



Hopefully I hit all of the good stuff, but of course if you have more specific questions or want advice from me- please do not hesitate to reach out! And as always, if you're thinking about buying real estate in Wilmington, NC and it's surrounding beaches... Give me a call! 910-803-3013



website | instagram | pinterest | facebook 

No comments